Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Professional Super-8 Camera Owners?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member FastFilms's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    47
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Does anyone on this board own a professional super-8 camera such as the Beaulieu 7000,8000,or 9000 series? If so, how much more better is it than a good working consumer super-8 camera?

    Just wondering.


    Michael

  2. #2
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    The 8008 model was actually a Hi8 video camera. Don't know what Beaulieu was thinking on that one [img]confused.gif[/img]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member GREATwarEAGLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2002
    Posts
    530
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My camera is:

    -Beaulieu 5008
    -crystal sync (24) modified (by The Film Group)
    -8, 18, 24, 45 fps
    -Schneider - Kreuznach 1.4 / 6-70 lens
    -reflex viewing (of course)

    It has a few other things like rewind knob, single frame advance but I don't think I'll ever use those.

    Unfortunately, I can't really compare it to any other super 8 camera because it's the only one I've ever used. I didn't rush out and buy equipment. I learned film theory and made sure I understood the language first.

    I learned to walk before I ran. And crawled before I walked. (see my filmmaker.com anti-technical post)

    However, 2 drawbacks I can tell you: Since it is crystal sync, it requires a blimp, which I also have, to muffle the motor when recording sound. But I don't really record sound. I wanted crystal sync to ensure fluid motion, and to have just in case.
    And, it's cumbersome. Kind of bulky for super 8.

    Other than that - it's my best friend - I sleep with it under the pillow.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member FastFilms's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    47
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the responses so far guys.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    To answer your question--Yes a Pro camera is better than a consumer camera. For a lot of reasons. Glass, featrures, craftmanship are just a few.

    Good Luck

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Matt Pacini's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    567
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It really makes a difference to have a good camera.
    Especially in Super 8, where the small frame size is enough of a handicap, without adding bad glass, etc.
    And GREATwarEAGLE, it's not the crystal sync that is making noise requiring a blimp.
    That has nothing to do with it at all.
    ALL Super 8 cameras other than the Nizo 6080/6056/4080 are super noisy. Your camera would make just as much noise without the crystal sync mod.
    And you wasted money by getting the sync mod, if you're not shooting sound, because S8 cameras float very little.
    Nowhere near enough to notice visually, only when you're syncing audio do you need crystal sync.

    To give a little extra info to the original question, here is by no means a compete list of some "pro" super 8 cameras:

    Nikon R-10 or R-8
    SOME but not all Beauliue's (the higher #'d ones are good).
    Canon 1014/814 and/or 1014XL-S/814XL-S
    Nizo 6080/6056/4080 (the quietest of all S8 cameras!)
    Nizo 800/801
    Bauer 715XL-S
    And I would add the humble Nikon Super zoom, because it has great glass, is tiny, even though it doesn't have a lot of features.

    DO NOT get a camera that doesn't shoot 24fps, and don't think that any camera by these manufacturers is "Pro", because they all made lower end cameras for the masses that are not worth bothering with, for the most part.

    Matt Pacini

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I first used a GAF basic model, then bought a Bell and Howell MS45, big difference..much better lens, and it has macro too. My MS45 has an add on electronic module which allows it to do variable frame rates (24,18,9,1.) and an intervalometer, has exposure lock and manual exposure control, and even a depth of field control. (have never used that yet!)...you can even turn off the viewfinder to protect the film inside. Nicer cameras make nicer movies! mike

  8. #8
    Inactive Member GREATwarEAGLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2002
    Posts
    530
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I guess I didn't word my post properly. About camera noise, yes, they're all, for the most part, noisy. But when crystal syncing w/ sound, a blimp is required. So if you're gonna have crystal sync - you're gonna need a blimp.

    And detecting smooth fps - that's up to the audience. I myself can see the difference. While some may not. Crystal sync also allows you to be precise when, if in post, you are using a pre-recorded soundtrack. Even if your entire shoot was MOS. There may be certain highs and lows in instrumental music that you may want to sync with your image. Crystal sync allows for precision.

    For example, the short I'm doing now. While I'm shooting, I am playing a cd with the track I want, so that the events before the camera precisely correspond with the music. The character is struggling on crutches and I want her to walk to the beats of the music.

    Also, like I said, I wanted crystal sync just in case. I'm sure we've all heard, "Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member GREATwarEAGLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2002
    Posts
    530
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Actually, I guess I am already utilizing the sync motor since I am syncing her walking with the beats, among other things. See that. Glad I have it.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member FastFilms's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    47
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    Hey,
    Thanks again for the replies! I'm always on the lookout for used super-8 cameras wherever I can find them.(goodwill store, yard sale, someone I know selling thiers ) I already have a few of my own but you never know when one might just decide to die and I don't want to be left without my super-8!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •